Thursday, June 18, 2009

Taylor's drawer I

In Spanish language, a cajón de sastre is the drawer where the taylor keep his instruments. In figurative sense, it is the drawer where everything that does not have specific place ends up. It is what we would call in English language an hotchpotch or an hodgepodge - meaning, a confused mixture or a motley assortment of things.

I have several taylor's drawers scattered around my life. Probably the most used is the kitchen one, where film rolls, garlic crushers, egg whiskers and blade sharpeners live happily together. It is also known as the drawer (have you seen the scissors? Oh yes, last time I have seen them, they were in the drawer!).

The most useful taylor's drawer I have is probably the one in the office, which is euphemistically called personal belongings. Last time I emptied it, I found almost everything you need to have in a work environment, but were always afraid to ask: make up, used boarding passes, tooth paste and tooth brushes, a comb, perfumes, stockings, hand cream, business cards, universal plug adaptors, spare pens, pain killers and so many coins of different currency that I could have bought lunch.

Inevitably, my blog also has also a taylor's drawer. It lists a few unclassifiable websites or blogs that for unspeakable reasons I am following. They could be marked as my favorites, but, helas!, that wouldn't honor them as they deserve.

Where I else but in a taylor's drawer could I have saved My milk toof? This blog is authored by Inhae, a California-based artist, who welcomed home a couple of milk tooth. Of, Anna the Red's Bento Factory, a blog about Bento boxes, that includes recipes? Anna's lunch boxes are so pretty that are almost uneatable. Or, Atlas Obscura, a compendium of curious places? Right now, the featured museum on this web site is the Icelandic Phallological Museum, known to have the worlds largest (and only) encyclopedic collection of mammal penises. And, last but no means least, were else could the Lunchbreath photostream be? This a flickster gallery where a Chicago based artist with a caustic sense of humor publishes his cartoons.

Source - some of these sites were found at the Huffington Post, others at Shooting the Cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment