Monday, July 19, 2010

A grand day out I


On this occasion only, and without setting a precedent, this weekend I dragged myself out of the urban jungle and ventured into the wilderness. This time, I went to Ebenalp, in Canton Appenzell. Indeed, that same Appenzell that became the last Swiss canton to grant women the vote in 1991.

But, I digress. The plan was to take a look at the Seealpsee, a lake that mysteriously turned blood red last Summer. In fact, scientists found latter that the colour was due to Tovellia sanguinea, an algae so rare that does not even exist on Wikipedia. For the moment, there are still no signs of red blood lake. The only thing I could find on the orange-red spectrum was this lovely orange lichen.



At the top of the Ebenalp, we could see the Bodensee, known elsewhere as Lake Constance. At some point in my life, I used to pass by it everyday on my way to work. Then, I replaced it by Lake Zurich and now, it is distant memory, as blurred as the horizon line in this picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment