Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Soundtrack of my life III- Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye

Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye is a 1944 song written by Cole Porter. It became a jazz standard and was recorded by several artists such as Ella Fitzgerald , Dinah Washington, John Coltrane, Nina Simone, Sarah Vaughan, Ray Charles, Carly Simon, Rod Stewart, Robbie Williams, Chet Baker, Eden Brent, and Diana Krall.

It became part of my personal soundtrack a couple of times. The first, around 86, as sung by Mick Hucknall and Simply Red. I recorded it on a long lost cassette next to Kate Bush & Peter Gabriel's Don't Give Up. It was only a pretty song when I did it, but after a few months time, it proved to be almost prophetic.



And, for a second time in my life, I put it on my walkman in 1990 as a part of the first project of Red Hot organization, called Blue. The Red Hot + Blue CD was arguable the first AIDS charity, and featured several early 90s artists reinterpreting Cole Porter songs. Annie Lennox did the honors for Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye. No broken hearts to report on this occasion, though.



No comments:

Post a Comment