Thursday, August 20, 2009

24h of worldwide commercial flights in less than 2min

I am a certified Frequent Traveller. At some point in my life, I spent more time in airports and plans than home, and most of my shopping came from free shops all over the world. My office was so close to the airport that I could tell the time of day by looking to the sky - if this is a Singapore Airlines flight followed by a Japan Airlines one, then it must be 13h45.

So, when a friend sent an animation with all scheduled civil flights over a 24h period boiled down to less than 2 min, I was in a bit of a shock. Statistically, every day 93 000 flights are starting from about 9 000 airports. At any given hour of the day, you can find between 8 000 and 13 000 airplanes in the air. A lot of things going on in the sky above us...



Note: This animation is a part of joint project between the Swiss Science Center and the Institute of Applied Information Technology InIT (Zurich University of Applied Sciences, Winterthur, Switzerland). It was produced to be shown on the high definition 3D-Globe Orbitarium in Technorama

No comments:

Post a Comment